Three new records in three meets

When a person is feeling under the weather, the best thing for them is usually chicken soup. USF indoor track athlete Chandra Brewer received something better during her cold.

The sophomore shot putter was named Conference USA Athlete of the Week Tuesday.

“She’s been sick all day,” USF coach Greg Thiel said. “She’s kind of out of it a little bit, but she’s excited.”

The award for a track athlete comes a little more difficult than awards in other sports because of the difference in the athlete’s specialties.

“It’s so hard in any of the sports, when there is so many teams and so many athletes,” Theil said. “She had a great meet, but you never know because there are so many athletes in our conference.

“They kind of look for the most impressive performance in the entire conference. That’s what makes it pretty special.”

Two weeks after setting a school record in the shot put, Brewer, a sophomore, rewrote it Saturday at the Northeastern Huskie Invitational in Boston.

Last year, Brewer broke the record of 48 feet by throwing 48 feet, eight inches, then 48 feet, nine inches before setting it yet again Saturday.

Brewer’s record earned her the honor of C-USA Athlete of the Week for her NCAA provisional throw of 50 feet, eight inches.

“Most schools have never had a shot putter like this,” Theil said. “She’ll be one of the top 25-30 girls in the country by the end of the year.

“We’ve never had anything like her when it comes to that.”

Along with her shot put throw, Brewer set a personal best in the weight throw of 51 feet, 11.75 inches.

Brewer, who is currently the No. 1 shot putter in the conference and No. 4 in the weight throw, was an all conference athlete at both the 2002 indoor and outdoor championships.

“I was surprised because our team did so well this week,” Brewer said. “I knew it would be a hard decision.”

Brewer has been using her hard work to improve her record.

“It feels like my training is paying off,” Brewer said. “I’m hoping to continue the trend.”

Coach Thiel does not expect Brewer’s records or awards to stop here.

“Before the end of the season is over she will throw 51 (feet) close to 52 (feet) I think,” Thiel said.

“She will be an All-American before she is done. She will be top eight in the country before her career is done at South Florida.”