Change of plans for USF track and field

The USF women’s indoor track and field team has changed its travel plans. Instead of going to Houston this weekend, the Bulls will travel to the Northeastern University to compete in the Northeastern Huskie Invitational Saturday.

This will be the first scored meet for the Bulls this season after team totals weren’t calculated in the previous two. However, the Bulls won’t bring all their competitors this weekend as USF coach Greg Thiel decided to give his distance runners the week off to rest.

USF won’t compete in the 500 meters, 1,000m, 3,000m, 5,000m, one mile and the distance medley relay.

Although the Bulls don’t have a good chance of winning the meet since they’re not competing in every event, Thiel said this weekend still holds many positive aspects for his team.

“It’s a great opportunity to get in a scored meet because it increases the intensity level of the competitors,” Thiel said. “This week and next week will be a good opportunity to see where we’re at and how we compete under pressure.

“This shows them that their place (in the events) matters, and it will be good to see how they respond to that.”

The Bulls have broken three school records in the first two weeks of the season, and numerous competitors have eclipsed their personal bests in their events.

Thiel said the good results reflect the mentality of his team this season.

“It has been a testament of them coming to the meets and being really focused,” he said. “We’re getting better and we want our kids to keep getting faster and better.

“We’re setting them up to peak towards conference time.”