AIDS plan will help many

In his address to the union Monday night, President George W. Bush reminded Americans that one of the responsibilities of being “a blessed country, is to make this world better.”

It’s about time the United States made an effort to help the rest of the world. Just because the United States is one of the richest countries in the world, it doesn’t make others less important.

Bush said nearly 30 million people have AIDS in Africa, yet only 50,000 of them receive medical aid each year. To aid in this epidemic, Bush proposed the Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief. This plan requires asking Congress for $15 billion dollars to battle AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean.

Bush said the plan “will prevent 7 million new AIDS infections, treat at least 2 million people with life-prolonging drugs and provide humane care for millions of people suffering from AIDS and for children orphaned by AIDS.”

Americans with AIDS are able to extend their lives with medicine, while those in other countries wait for the disease to deteriorate their body.

The United States’ assistance is much needed by those less fortunate, and this plan is a huge step in the right direction.

Now, AIDS sufferers will have an equal chance to receive medical care they need without depending on economic status.