Individuals excel for USF in indoor track season opener

The University of South Florida indoor track and field team kicked off its season Saturday at the Florida Intercollegiate meet in Gainesville.

Team totals were not tallied for the meet, but the Bulls did have individual standouts in some of the events.

“As a team, we had a really good meet,” USF coach Greg Thiel said. “We didn’t have any earth-shattering performances, but we got a lot of good things from a lot of people.”

Christa Benton and Carmen Crespo were the top Bulls finishers, both placing second in their events.

Benton placed second in the 3,000 meters, finishing in nine minutes, 56.63 seconds. Crespo placed second in the high jump by clearing 1.72 meters.

Several other Bulls finished in the top five in their respective events.

Betsy Matson finished fourth in the pole vault by clearing 3.45 meters. The team of Bente General, Karoline Hagen, Amber Delpino and Alexis McGaffagan finished fourth in the 4×400-meter relay in 3:46.73.

Senior Cori Kill (one mile, 5:11.50), Irene Ledbetter (triple jump, 11.96 meters) and Chandra Brewer (shot put, 15.16 meters) each finished in fifth place.

Other Bulls finishing in the top 10 were Dayana Octavien (weight throw, seventh, 17.69 meters), Valquisha Morris (long jump, eighth, 5.61 meters) and Devon Rich (55-meter dash, 10th, 7.13 seconds).

The Bulls travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., for the Michigan Invitational Saturday.