Civil rights activist to share courageous story with students

On June 12, 1963, Myrlie Evers-Williams’ life was forever changed by the tragic assassination of her husband, Medgar Evers, a civil rights leader.

Tonight, Evers-Williams will appear as the main speaker of the Martin Luther King Jr. Convocation sponsored by the University Lecture Series, Campus Activities Board and the Office of Multicultural Activities.

For three decades, Evers-Williams led a fight for racial equality and justice. Her hard work paid off in 1994, when her husband’s murderer, Byron de la Beckwith, was sentenced to life in prison. Her name is forever imprinted in history, due to her rise as the first woman chair for the NAACP.

The convocation is part of “The Content of Our Character,” a two-week-long celebration of King. The program, which is open to the public free of charge, will begin at 5:30 p.m. A preview of various USF organizations will be followed by Evers-Williams’ sharing her life experiences. Those who attend will be able to hear first-hand the impact of the loss of her husband on her and the lives of her children.

Some are excited about Evers-Williams coming to speak.

“I’m excited, no doubt, and the movie that portrays the trial and court procedures is the Ghosts of Mississippi,” said Nicole West, coordinator of Multicultural Activities.

After Evers-Williams’ speech, there will be an autograph session for her memoir Watch Me Fly. Copies of the book will be available for sale, as well.