The Week Ahead 11/14

Honk If You Love …

Honk! A Musical Comedy
Today, Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m.
Theatre 1

Based on Hans Christian Andersen’s story of the Ugly Duckling, Honk! brings a quirky, off-the-wall animal humor to the USF stage. Written by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe, the musical won London Theatre’s Olivier Award for Best New Musical in 2000. The campus production is directed by Nancy Cole and features an all USF student cast and instrument ensemble. Tickets are $12 for the public and $6 for students.

Portrait of an Artist

Isabel “Eres Mi Vida”
Closing reception, Friday, 7 p.m. — 9 p.m.
Centre Gallery

The closing reception for the current Centre Gallery exhibition will give the public a chance to meet and talk to the artist responsible for the works. The artist, Jennifer Leon, tries to show the family and its influence on a person’s role in society. This is her first solo show at the Gallery.

VeeDubin’ in Tampa

Volkswagen Major Motion Picture Show
Friday, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
USF Sun Dome

It’s the seventh semester that Volkswagen has organized an interactive Activity Village, which brings free games (such as “Pack the New Beetle”) and prizes (such as a two-year lease on a VW GTI) as a new way to promote VW products. The promotion will conclude with the showing of Spider-Man. Also, VWs spotted on campus will get a special postcard redeemable for a prize.

Tradition in Music

Inca Son
Monday, 8 p.m.
Theatre 1

The musical group’s project is to educate the public about the culture that stems from the Andes Mountains and the descendants of the Incan tribe. The group, dressed in the colorful attire of the Incas, presents traditional music from the Andes. In addition to singing, the group also gives dancing performances, showcasing the styles and customs of their region. Tickets are $5 for general admission and free with USF student ID.

Civil Rights Movement

The Bill of Rights for Black Men
Tuesday, 8 p.m.
Marshall Center Ballroom

Bryonn Bain will speak about his experiences when he was wrongfully jailed in New York City for a crime he did not commit. He will describe his night in jail and the explanation for it, as well as the lack of respect he endures by the hands of the police. Bain will speak about achieving goals and overcoming obstacles, as well as the future of equality in human rights.

Fruits of the Tropics

The Scent of Green Papaya
Tuesday, 9 p.m.
Marshall Center, Room 296

The Vietnamese movie, nominated by the Academy for the 1994 Best Foreign Film, gives a picture of a young servant girl whose relationship with her masters is ever-changing. This romantic story of an uneducated maid whose master falls in love with her is a humane look at the life of a young girl.

Music of the Past

USF Symphony Orchestra
Wednesday, 8 p.m.
University Theatre 1

This performance will include a work by Michael Colgrass, the winner of the 1978 Pulitzer Prize in music, entitled Déjà Vu. Also, the Orchestra will play pieces by Arthur Honegger and Joseph Landers, as well as a concerto by Bela Bartok. Tickets are $4 for general admission and $3 for students.

X Games and Spies

xXx
Wednesday, 9 p.m.
Crescent Hill

The action-packed thriller about a multi-talented, civilian-turned spy criminal, whose love for extreme sports allows him to perform feats that no one else is capable of, is coming to the lawn. And when the end of the world is imminent, it can only be Xander Cage, played by Vin Diesel, who can save America and the rest of its allies from the evil gangs of Eastern European terrorists.