Out in numbers

Homecoming games usually bring out the largest number of fans, and Saturday’s turnout was the best yet for a Bulls home game at Raymond James Stadium. The 32,770 spectators edged the previous high of 32,711 set Nov. 3, 2001 when the Bulls hosted Houston during Homecoming. Saturday’s turnout also stands as the fourth highest for a USF home game at any venue. During their inaugural season in 1997 when they played in Tampa Stadium, the Bulls drew in excess of 33,000 for home games against Drake and Southern Illinois and the inaugural game against Kentucky Wesleyan, which drew 49, 212.

All in the family

Three days after being named a semifinalist for the Groza Award, presented to the nation’s best collegiate placekicker, USF sophomore Santiago Gramatica moved into second place on the school’s career scoring list. Entering the game with 118 points, Gramatica booted a field goal and four extra points to bring his two-year total to 125, moving past former Bulls running backs Otis Dixon and Rafael Williams (120). He could have had 128, but a fourth-quarter attempt was blocked by the Tigers’ Cameron Essex. Gramatica trails only his brother, Arizona Cardinals kicker Bill, who scored 193 points in three seasons (1998-2000) for the Bulls.

Running away with itDixon also had to make space in the USF record book to Bulls quarterback Marquel Blackwell, whose three-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter gave him 17 for his career, the same total as Dixon. Only Williams (18) is ahead of Blackwell in the career rushing TD list.

Khari Williams