MOSI hosts this years’ ball

USF President Judy Genshaft will head the coronation of the Homecoming King and Queen at this year’s third annual Masquerade Ball Nov. 5 at the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI).

The crowning will be held at the ball for the first time so that the honored parties can celebrate their titles at each of the week’s events. Traditionally, the crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen takes place during half-time of the Homecoming football game.

In years past, the event was held at the Embassy Suites on the southwest corner of campus where the ballroom’s maximum capacity is 650. This year at MOSI, which has the capacity for 2,000, students will have use of the whole building. The ball has sold out for the last three years.

Ashley Foss, director of Homecoming Steering Committee, said improvements from last year’s ball include a new disc jockey, semi-formal attire and no costumes. The tradition of the masquerade was kept, but costumes were left out in order to raise the standards of the dance and to make it more aesthetically pleasing. In the past, Homecoming week corresponded with Halloween, when the costumes were appropriate.

Sophomore Nikki Macknew, who didn’t attend last year’s ball, said she is going with her sorority sisters.

“We’re going to have a good time and to be social,” Macknew said. “I heard it’s going to be better than last year because it’s at MOSI.”

Foss said students should get excited about this year’s Masquerade Ball because of the giveaways and contests, which include a pair of tickets from SouthWest Airlines.

“We’re hoping this year to accommodate 2,000 students and continue to grow,” Foss said.

Sophomore Stosh Klos said he is interested in the new format.

“It sounds enticing that it’s not a costume party and that it’s going to be held at a nice place,” Klos said.

Freshman Bryan Johnson said the ball is a good deal for the price.

“It’s a good excuse to party and it seems like a cool place to meet women,” Johnson said. “If I had a group to go with, I’d love to go.”

The ball will be from 8 p.m. to midnight and tickets are $3 in advance with student ID at the Phyllis P. Marshall Center information desk and at the door.

Contact Kelly Icardioracleicardi@yahoo.com