Inaugural Sushi Day to be held in Tampa

Tampa Mayor Dick Greco has proclaimed today Sushi Day in the city of Tampa, according to Andrew Moos, founder of the Tampa Bay Sushi Society.

A luncheon celebration at Todai Restaurant on Bay Street in International Plaza will recognize the day. The event takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The idea came from Moos. The event will kick off a fundraiser for the Tampa Bay Sushi Society, which, according to Moos, has about 200 card-carrying members.

Moos said he hopes to raise $100,000 in a January fundraising event. The proceeds will go to the new Children’s Hospital Heart Center at St. Joseph’s hospital.

Tomorrow’s event is not a fundraising event, Moos said.

Todai will be giving out gift certificates and holding raffles. A special selection of sushi will also be offered at the event that will include an all-you-can-eat sushi and seafood buffet for $12.95, Moos said.

Moos said he came to Florida from New York in 1989 and was dismayed by the low number of sushi restaurants. He said he has been eating sushi for 32 years.

“I wanted to spread the message that sushi was healthy, delicious and fun to eat,” said Moos.

Moos said he got the idea for the event when he traveled to Japan this summer and was told that the Japanese observe National Sushi Day every year on the first day of November.

“I wrote to Mayor Greco knowing he’s an avid sushi lover,” Moos said.

Sherry Crawford, executive aide for the office of special consultant to the mayor, said the proclamation was given mostly because of the society’s upcoming charity event.

Crawford said that in those cases, “We’re usually pretty lenient about doing proclamations for people.”

Moos said Mayor Greco is expected to make an appearance at the Todai event tomorrow.