TV should reflect real life

It’s disturbing that in the year 2002, there are television shows that have characters of one specific race. People look to sitcoms for entertainment and are then subjected to an unrealistic view of the world. This should not be the case.

Take NBC’s sitcom Friends, for example. How many black people have appeared on that show? Three, at last count. Is it possible that none of the characters work with people of other races? Could they all live apartment buildings with only white people? In the middle of New York City, that’s not likely.

Other shows, for example UPN’s The Parkers, do have a regular character of another race, but then ridicule him or her. In The Parkers, a white character is made fun of for wanting to be black and not acting like a white girl. It doesn’t make sense that a sitcom can’t show people of different races associating with each other and getting along on a daily basis. In the real world, that’s how it is.

Maybe the television executives chose to have characters of only one race in their sitcoms because they are afraid of offending or isolating their viewers. However, having characters of only one race on a sitcom is completely unrealistic.

Every day, people of different races work together, live together, are friends with each other and even get married. Viewers don’t care what the characters look like, as long as they’re funny or interesting. Television executives need to cast members of different races in their sitcoms, or better yet, create new shows that accurately portray real life.