One arrested after free concert at Sun Dome

It didn’t take long for the buzz to spread.

After a week of rumors and guesses, Stone Temple Pilots played to a crowd of nearly 3,000 Wednesday evening outside the Sun Dome.

The concert, sponsored by Nissan, garnered some attention earlier in the week when the event was announced, but the band remained a mystery.

The idea was to keep the band a secret until the last possible minute, but that plan failed after 98Rock leaked on air that STP was slotted to play at USF.

Despite the large crowd, University Police made only one arrest.

Police said that shortly after the concert, 23-year-old Christopher Hammond began picking random fights with departing crowds.

No one was injured seriously, police say.

Police say Hammond was arrested but managed to pull his cuffed arms in front of his body while in the back of a UP cruiser.

UP’s interim chief, Pat Johnson, said the officer pulled the cruiser over at the corner of Holly Drive and Maple Drive to re-cuff, Hammond.

When Hammond got out of the cruiser, he began convulsing. Tampa Fire Rescue responded and EMS workers determined Hammond was putting on an act, Johnson said.

As Hammond was restrained by EMS and police, he yelled obscenities and slammed his head on the ground repeatedly.

“We don’t know what it was, alcohol or drugs,” Johnson said. “But he was on something.”

Johnson said police recovered a bottle of a prescription drug akin to Valium, but it was not clear whether the prescription was written for Hammond.

Hammond was charged with aggravated battery and disorderly conduct, Johnson said, and was being booked in Orient Road Jail.