Bulls open conference slate 2-0

The South Florida volleyball team opened its Conference USA schedule with a bang this weekend, starting with a 2-0 record.

After coming out of the blocks strong against East Carolina Friday, winning three straight games for the 30-13, 30-12, 30-21 victory, USF struggled against Charlotte (10-8, 1-1) Saturday, allowing the match to go four games for the 30-23, 30-16, 24-30, 30-14 win.

The Bulls (14-4, 2-0) used the motivation of the opening of conference play and parents’ weekend to show the conference why they were ranked C-USA preseason No. 3.

“I think it sort of makes a statement, and that’s what we wanted to do,” USF coach Nancy Mueller said. “We were No. 3 picked in the conference this year for preseason, so we want to make sure we make a statement early.”

Freshman middle blocker Corinne Walsh had another strong weekend with an overall percentage of .478 against the 49ers and .375 against the Pirates while posting five block assists.

“Corinne really has stepped it up for a freshman,” Mueller said. “She’s low error, and she keeps the ball in play on a bad set. She has been able to get it done.”

During the match against ECU, the Bulls showed why they are a force to be reckoned with in the conference. They hit .500 while holding the Pirates to minus-.053.

“(Friday) was an exceptional day