Golf washed away

Despite a rain delay in Kentucky Saturday, the USF women’s golf team clinched a second-place spot at the Lady Kat Invitational, trailing Tennessee by eight shots at the end of 36 holes.

After shooting 310 in the first round, the Bulls found themselves right in the middle of the pack, sitting in the eighth position.

Although slightly disappointed with the first round results, the Bulls charged through the competition on the second day and finished second overall. The team was able to get the second round in before the delay Saturday, and wound up shooting 302, the best second-round score in the field.

When asked what made the Bulls’ second round so successful, attitude was the immediate answer.

“Our composure out there was very good,” said senior Kelly Martin. “We all handled ourselves really well.”

Martin herself put up impressive numbers, finishing sixth overall and shooting 73 for the second round.

Because of the rain delay, several of the teams were unable to finish the second round Saturday, and after playing those holes on Sunday, it was determined that they had to cancel the third round. Since the third round was not held, some curiosity arose on what it would have brought about if played.

“Even though we are really glad we came in second, we were interested to see what a third round would have done for us,” said Martin.

Jill Crowe and Katie Ruhe both finished with 156, while Fany Schaeffer went 75-77-152 to finish in a tie for 11th place overall. Freshman Fernanda Rivera, in her first collegiate tournament, shot 176 overall.

Contact Chris Wagenheim at oraclesports@yahoo.com