CYbor City may close

According to Director for Student Affairs Guy Conway, a discussion has begun that could lead to the closing of CYbor City, a computer center in the Phyllis P. Marshall Center.

Conway said the reason for closing the eight-computer center is to create office space for USF Dining, the new food service provider.

Conway said the issue is in the early stages of discussion.

“I don’t know if this is going to happen or not,” he said. “No decisions have been made.”

Conway said he discussed the issue Wednesday with Student Government president Mike Griffin and SG Senate President Mike Berman. He said the SG computer lab, located down the hall from CYbor City on the Marshall Center’s lower level, is currently in the process of being expanded, and he asked Berman and Griffin if they could accommodate more students.

In addition, Conway said Berman suggested an option that would move some computers into the gaming area, also located on the lower level. He said doing so would allow students interested in using the computers for games a separate location.

“We’re looking at what would need to be done and what it would cost to do this,” Conway said. “I didn’t want to go any further without feedback from Griffin and Berman.”

As for the office space, Conway said rent may be charged, but it is still too early to state a cost.

Conway said it’s really too early to make any conclusions at all. He said that as students leave campus for the summer, he simply wants students to be aware that something may occur.

“I didn’t want the perception to be we did it when no one was around,” Conway said. “We wanted everyone to know.”
New megabins to replace individual newspaper bins

As of Friday, individual newspaper or advertisement publication bins will not be allowed on USF campus.

Instead, all publications offered on the campus will be placed into “megabins.” The new bins provide space for at least 13 publications and have been installed in strategic locations throughout campus.

The Physical Plant, which is responsible for the new bins, has placed notices on existing, single publication bins asking for their removal.

According to the notice, the new bins “have been installed on campus for safety and aesthetics.”

Included on the notice is question and contact information, which is directed to an employee of The St. Petersburg Times. The contact’s name is April Hemby, and according to her voicemail, she is out of town until Monday.