Daley on Lombardi list

Defensive lineman Chris Daley is on the Lombardi Award Watch List announced Thursday.

Daley is one of 49 Division I players named as a candidate for the Lombardi Award, which is presented to the nation’s top down lineman or any defensive player who lines up within five yards of the football.

Daley had 9.5 sacks in 2001, his junior year.

The 6-foot-2, 255-pound Daley recorded 8.5 sacks in the first five games before a sprained ankle slowed him the rest of the way.

Daley also earned All-Independent honors and was named USF’s top defensive front seven player last season.

If Daley takes home the award in the fall, he will not be the first USF personality to take home the award. USF Athletics Director Lee Roy Selmon won the award after his senior season at Oklahoma in 1975.

Soccer alums return for matchupThere was a reunion at the USF Soccer Stadium on Thursday night, as the USF men’s soccer team hosted its annual Alumni Game.

Among the alumni who suited up were Jason Cudjoe, Joe Valencia and Matt Cavenaugh from last year’s team, as well as Wes Elias, Greg Krauss, Eric Ravandal and Brian Alvero.

“I always love the alumni games because it’s a time to renew some old friendships. That’s always great,” USF coach John Hackworth said. “All these guys have a huge passion for the game. That’s why they come back out and play in these things.”

Though the alumni played competitively, the final score was just as lopsided as last year’s 6-0 victory for the Bulls. Two goals from Gabriel Salgado and goals from Jeff Thwaites, J.P. Pagano and Jamin Hollingsworth sealed an easy win, with only Mike Mekelburg answering for the alumni. But the alumni had the better of the play, especially in the second half.

“It was a fairly competitive game, and that’s good for us,” Hackworth said.

The game was the Bulls’ final competitive action of the spring. Hackworth said the rest of the spring will consist of weightlifting, conditioning and fitness tests. According to NCAA rules, only four players can train at a time for technical work and drills.

Khari Williams