Brown, Greenberg meet today

Freshman forward Kelvin Brown has been dismissed from the men?s basketball team for failure to fulfill academic commitments, coach Seth Greenberg said Sunday.

At least for the time being.

?As of right now, he?s dismissed,? Greenberg said.

The dismissal brings to a head a troubled season for the 6-foot-7, 220-pound Brown, who was suspended indefinitely for most of the season. Brown last played Jan. 16 against Memphis.

However, Greenberg did leave the door open for a possible return to the team. Brown will meet with Greenberg this morning to discuss his basketball future.

When asked if Brown might possibly return as a non-scholarship player next season, Greenberg said the scenario was feasible.

?It?s really up to him,? Greenberg said. ?We?ll meet (Monday) and talk.?

Brown, the most highly touted of USF?s freshman class this season following a stellar career at Fort Lauderdale Dillard High, was suspended three times this season for academics and benched a fourth for disciplinary reasons. Brown led Dillard to a pair of state titles and was rated as the nation?s 20th best small forward recruit as a senior.

Brown averaged 4.1 points and 2.5 rebounds per game in 11 games for the Bulls this season.

• Brandon Wright

Bulls smash five records at FSU

The USF women?s track and field team was busy rewriting the school record book Friday and Saturday at the FSU Relays. The Bulls set five outdoor records at the meet.

Dayana Octavien and Chandra Brewer picked up where they left off during the indoor season, provisionally qualifying for the NCAA Championships. Octavien threw the discus 167 feet, breaking the previous record by almost 15 feet. Brewer?s distance in the shot put was 50 feet, six inches.

Sophomore Alexis McGaffagan, the USF record holder in the high jump, established a new heptathlon record with 4,476 points.

On the track, junior Amber Delpino broke the one-minute mark in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 59.94 seconds, good for second place, and Bente General, the Indoor Conference USA Freshman of the Year, ran the 800 meters in 2 minutes, 9 seconds.