Bulls fall 4-3 to Paladins

The USF women’s tennis team was busy during spring break, playing five matches. Saturday the Bulls played the last of the five matches, falling to Furman 4-3. The Paladins, last ranked 75th, have a record of 9-3.

The majority of the Bulls’ games recently have been away. But the Bulls (4-9) had a big win at USF on Wednesday against Conference USA rival Louisville, winning 7-0. Several of the players have a better feeling when the match is on their home court.

“We feel comfortable at home,” senior Natalie Schwartz said. “It’s hard to get in the right mind-set when you are away.

“Furman was a tough opponent. It felt like we were outside of our element. But we tried our best and will be ready for Kansas (on Wednesday).”

Genevieve Houle, USF’s No. 2, has added incentive for performing well against the Jayhawks.

“It will be nice to have our support there. My dad is coming from Montreal, and I want to make him proud,” Houle said.Houle had to step up this weekend to play No. 1 doubles with Schwartz. Patricia Kolendo is Schwartz’s normal partner, but she was out sick.

“Though (we) were down, Natalie and I just had a good time and won the match,” Houle said.

Kolendo will return to face Kansas.

“I have fully recovered, and I am really excited for the matches this week,” said Kolendo. “I was a little upset (that I missed the match), but it doesn’t matter who plays, as long as the team does well.”

USF lost 7-0 to Michigan State on March 10 and 6-1 to Florida State on Monday in Tallahassee, and also lost 5-2 to Clemson at home Friday.

The Bulls play No. 37 Kansas on Wednesday at 2 p.m.

• Amanda Collins covers women’s tennis and can be reached at oraclesports@yahoo.com