Weezer brings pop power to Ice Palace

Power-pop foursome Weezer – the reigning nerds of the rock world – return to Tampa after a successful showing last February to thrill audiences once again with their bouncy blend of melodic guitar riffs and witty lyrics. Formed in 1992, the band first hit it big two years later when their eponymous debut shot up the charts thanks to the catchy single “Buddy Holly” and the constant rotation it got on MTV. The video featured the band spliced into vintage Happy Days footage. The album also garnered the hit, “Undone (The Sweater Song)” and the fan favorite “Say It Ain’t So.”

In 1996, Weezer released Pinkerton, which was critically acclaimed but failed to succeed commercially. The band then followed a nearly five-year hiatus with a second self-titled LP (known as The Green Album), which debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts when it was released last May. Buoyed by the single “Hash Pipe,” the album was one of the hottest sellers of the summer. The last time they were in Tampa, Weezer played before a packed house at The Sun Dome. Sunday, they will attempt to bring the same energy level to the more spacious Ice Palace.

• Weezer will perform with Save the Day and Ozma, Sunday at 7:30 p.m. at The Ice Palace. For tickets/info call 301-6500.

• Wade Tatangelo is The Oracle Off Limits Editor