Kohn’s career highs squash TCU

The first time South Florida played TCU, the teams combined for a Conference USA-record 225 points. B.B. Waldon shouldered the offensive load with 37 while Reggie Kohn accounted for a meager two in a 117-108 Bulls’ victory at the Sun Dome.

The parts changed Saturday, but the result remained the same as Kohn delivered a career-high 30 points in an 88-74 rout of the Horned Frogs at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

“It was just their style of play, going up and down,” Kohn said. “Luckily I got some open looks, and fortunately I knocked them down tonight.”

Kohn had his three-point radar honed, shooting 8-of-11 from behind the arc and going 11-of-14 from the field. The Bulls (17-8, 7-5 in C-USA) shot 50 percent (11-of-22) from long range as they swept the season series with the Horned Frogs.

“(Kohn) made shots,” coach Seth Greenberg said. “He did a nice job when they went to the zone, getting the ball to open people and distributing the ball … I thought Reggie was magnificent.”

The 6-foot-1, 164-pound junior guard, noted for his long-range prowess, unveiled a new wrinkle to his game Saturday by grabbing 10 rebounds, second only to Waldon’s game-high 13. Kohn also dished out six assists and was asked after the game if he had ever pulled down 10 boards at any level of basketball.

“No,” Kohn said.

But Saturday was about Kohn and his three-point assault on the Horned Frogs in a game South Florida could not afford to lose. The Bulls have an outside chance of winning the National Division, providing a few things happen. South Florida must win its final four games – including Wednesday’s showdown with first-place Memphis – and hope for a Tigers’ loss to Cincinnati or DePaul.

“(Memphis) is a team that I think is the most talented in our conference,” Greenberg said. “It’s a huge game. It keeps us in the hunt for that 20-win mark, which is so important.”

The Bulls scored the first basket of the game – fittingly a three-pointer by Kohn – and would never trail. TCU’s Junior Blount tied the score at 7, but that would be the closest the Horned Frogs would get as the Bulls responded with a 15-2 run, taking a 45-31 halftime lead.

South Florida led by as many as 23 in the second half as the defense held TCU to 40 percent (25-of-62) from the field. After the Bulls’ atrocious defensive effort in a 91-75 loss to Houston Tuesday, Greenberg said he was pleased to see his team resume playing at both ends of the floor.

“It isn’t about Reggie’s 30, and it isn’t about B.B. working his absolute tail off for 13 rebounds and 11 points,” Greenberg said. “It’s about defending. It’s about competing on the defensive end. It’s about contesting and affecting shots.

“Forget about everything else, the thing I’m most pleased about is that we competed on the defensive end. We were aggressive on the defensive end … and that’s the foundation of what we built our program on.”

Waldon scored 11 points while Mike Bernard chipped in with 10. Altron Jackson (9) and Will McDonald (7), the Bulls’ top two scorers, were held to a combined 16 points while freshman Terrence Leather added a career-high seven points. Gerrick Morris, the only Bull not to score, left the game with a sprained ankle, and his status for Memphis is doubtful.

• Brandon Wright covers men’s basketball and can be reached at oraclebrandon@yahoo.com