Quest for top 20 continues at UCF

The USF men’s tennis team will head to Orlando Saturday to take on UCF at 1 p.m.

The match will be the first road test for the Bulls, who have started out with a solid 4-1 overall record (1-0 in Conference USA) at home, including a big victory over then-No. 17 South Alabama (5-2).

The Golden Knights have started out the spring season with a 4-2 overall record, defeating Georgia Southern 7-0, Florida A&M 5-0, Bethune-Cookman 7-0 and Samford 7-0. Their two losses have come to instate rivals No. 56 FSU (2-5), and No. 37 Florida (2-5).

The Gators also handed USF a loss, its only loss of the season, on February 3 when they took the Bulls down 4-3.Other common opponents include Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman, which the Bulls also defeated in sweeps.

The Bulls need to step up their play, similar to the way they performed against Marquette last week in a 7-0 victory, in order to maintain the No. 28 ranking in the latest ITA poll.

After starting the spring ranked No. 38, the Bulls moved up to No. 28 following the South Alabama victory. The loss to the Gators two weeks ago means that when the next ITA poll comes out, the Bulls likely will slip a little in the standings.

However, with a victory against Marquette last week, if the Bulls can soundly defeat unranked UCF and then another unranked Brown team on Monday, they can keep their ranking.

The Bulls’ goal as a team is to finish in the top 20 this spring.