Golfers place second at UCF

USF junior Kelly Martin led the USF women’s golf team to a second-place finish Monday and Tuesday in the 10-team UCF Invitational. In the process, she delivered a tournament victory, the first in her collegiate career.

Martin topped the 54-hole tournament by just a single shot, hitting 71 on Monday and 74 on Tuesday on the par-72 course.

“She played very well. I’m happy for Kelly,” said teammate Fany Schaeffer, who finished fifth in the contest, shooting 75-72.

The Bulls breezed by the fourth and fifth-place teams, Florida Southern and the University of Mississippi. Georgia State was in third place and trailed USF by seven strokes.

But it was the University of Central Florida team that prevailed. In spite of USF’s 6-stroke lead after Day 1, the Golden Knights snagged the victory after hitting a team-low 290 in round two, giving them a 596 total. USF finished just four strokes behind, going 300-300 for a 600 total.

“We gave up too many shots in the end to win,” said Bulls coach Susan Holt. “But I was pleased with our consistency.”

The Bulls will need that consistency as they gear up for their hardest tournament in Gainesville on Feb. 22-24.

“It will be tough with a new field no one has played on yet,” said Martin. “And there will be a lot of good teams playing there.”

• Mary Goodman