Running out of time

With only two weeks remaining until the Conference USA championships, the USF indoor track team travels to the University of Florida this weekend to compete in an unscored meet.

“Everyone has got the potential for going to the conference championships,” Bulls coach Greg Thiel said. “It’s an important meet for (the athletes).”

Thiel said the coaching staff will be watching the team this weekend to decide which athletes are ready to compete at the conference meet. He said he isn’t yet sure who his team will be competing against this weekend, but he is sure the meet will be a good test for the athletes.

“It’s usually a pretty large meet,” Thiel said. “I’m sure it’ll be excellent competition.”

This weekend’s meet is the first for the team since it traveled to North Carolina two weeks ago. There will again be no meet next weekend as the team gears up for the C-USA meet. Thiel said the break in the schedule is helpful for the team.

“We’re pretty young,” he said. “We’ve got some kids that were a little banged up, so it’s given us some time to rest.”

With the youthful team, the concern for Thiel throughout the season has been to find consistency. Thiel said that won’t change this weekend, as he looks for solid performances throughout the roster.

“I want to see some kids that have been doing really well, I want to see those kids perform at the same level,” he said. “I want to see the young kids step it up and be a little more aggressive.”

• Rob Brannon