BOT to approve housing plans

The Board of Trustees will help finalize plans today for new dorms on campus when it authorizes a land lease agreement between the university and the USF Foundation.

The Foundation is a USF partner that solicits philanthropists for private investments for the university.

The meeting will be held via a 1:30 p.m. conference call.After the details of the plan to build new residence halls and a Greek housing facility are approved, the proposal will then need to pass through the Florida Department of Education and then the state Legislature.

“We have to approve it, so that’s what we’re going to do,” said Dick Beard, chairman for USF’s Board of Trustees.

What will be approved today is Phase II of the Residence Life Enhancement Project. Phase I saw the completion of Holly and Magnolia Apartments last year, while Phase III – slated to be complete by 2007 – will renovate the Andros Complex. If the project is completed, nearly 6,000 students could be living on campus in five years, compared to about 3,900 that were recorded in 2001.

Tom Kane, director for Residence Services, said he would not be at the meeting, but Harold Nixon, vice president for Student Affairs, would most likely represent his interests.

Nixon could not be reached for comment.

The conference call is open to the public to listen in and will be held in ADM 214.

• Contact Ryan Meehan at oraclemanaging@yahoo.com