Jackson goes for record at UCF

In what should amount to little more than a glorified scrimmage, South Florida’s game against Central Florida tonight will likely not go down in history.

But don’t tell that to Altron Jackson.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Jackson will become Conference USA’s all-time leading scorer when the Bulls travel to face the Golden Knights at 7:30 in the UCF Arena.

Jackson needs just five points to surpass DeMarco Johnson and set the career points record. Johnson netted 1,763 points for Charlotte from 1996-98.

Jackson leads the Bulls (13-6, 4-3 in C-USA) in scoring at 18.8 points per game this season but is coming off an 11-point performance in the Bulls’ 78-68 loss to Cincinnati Saturday. But Jackson should find a little more breathing room against the Golden Knights than he did vs. Cincinnati, the nation’s No. 1-ranked defense.

Central Florida (11-7, 7-5 in the Atlantic Sun Conference) does enter the game on a bit of a run, having won four straight, including Saturday’s 76-59 win at Belmont. The Golden Knights’ schedule is dotted with losses to schools like Samford, Troy State and Jacksonville State, and Central Florida boasts only one player taller than 6-foot-9 on the roster.

This will be the last non-conference game for the Bulls and the final tune-up before USF travels to Louisville Friday for a showdown against the Cardinals on ESPN.

• Brandon Wright covers men’s basketball and can be reached at oraclebrandon@yahoo.com