Jackson, Waldon cruise toward C-USA scoring record

Seniors Altron Jackson and B.B. Waldon are speeding toward the Conference USA career record for points. After Tuesday’s defeat of C-USA rival Southern Miss, Jackson and Waldon stood tied with 1,663 points, the third best total in C-USA’s seven-year history. Jackson poured in a game-high 20 points Tuesday, with Waldon adding eight.

Former Charlotte 49er DeMarco Johnson sits atop the conference career scoring chart with 1,763 points, while former Marquette standout Brian Wardle is second with 1,690 points. At their current pace, Jackson will eclipse Johnson’s record Jan. 29 at Central Florida, and Waldon will do the same one game later, Feb. 1 at Louisville.

The Bulls are 11-3 with a 2-0 record in C-USA. Their next game is Friday at DePaul and can be seen on Fox Sports Net Florida at 2 p.m. EST.

USF ranked No. 77 in Sears Cup

With the fall season in collegiate sports complete, USF is in 77th place in the running for the Division I Sears Cup, presented by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics. The Cup goes to the top overall athletic departments in each of the NCAA divisions, with points accrued based on schools’ achievements in NCAA championships.

The Bulls currently have 51 points. The women’s cross country team earned 21 points with their 31st-place finish in the NCAA Championship, and the men’s soccer team earned 30 Sears Cup points by reaching the second round of the NCAAs and finishing with a final national placing of No. 17. Last year, the Bulls finished the season ranked No. 59, their best-ever finish.

Seven-time defending Sears Cup champion Stanford leads this year’s current standings.

• Staff Report