Sports Illustrated brings its Campus Fest Tour to USF

As thoughts of the inevitable finals week linger, Sports Illustrated brings its Campus Fest 2001 Tour to USF.

Corporate sponsors have teamed with Sports Illustrated to produce what it calls the largest, free interactive college tour in the country. En route to the tour’s final fall destination at the University of Central Florida, the Campus Fest 2001 will park its tour on the business building’s lawn today and Tuesday.

“I checked out the activities last year and had a really good time,” said junior Anson Dias. “Sports Illustrated did a really good job in making the events fun, and I’m looking forward to participating this year as well.”

Activities include Nokia’s 28-foot Rock Climbing Challenge, Reese’s Sticks Quarterback Challenge and Reese’s NutRageous Gladiator Joust. Hershey’s Shot Clock Challenge will be here to put the pressure on as students try to beat the clock by making shots with a basketball in a designated time.

Other past and present sponsors include Disney Interactive, Pantene, Trojan, American Express, Cingular Wireless, Old Spice, High Endurance, akoo.com and Timberland.

Campus Fest 2001 sponsors also will be giving away many free samples and prizes, not to mention chances at winning free trips, Palm Pilots, clothes, hats, videos, software and scholarships.

“We had a pretty good student response to (Campus Fest) last year,” said Patrick Dean, executive director for the USF Campus Activities Board. “We should have a good turnout again this year.”The event will run today and Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, visit the Campus Fest 2001 Web site at .

• Contact Mike Kerriganat oracleeditor@yahoo.com