The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Announces 2023 Dissertation Fellows

The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest and most selective all-discipline collegiate honor society, today announced the recipients of a 2023 Phi Kappa Phi Dissertation Fellowship. The $10,000 fellowships are designed to support active Society members in the dissertation writing stage of doctoral study.

This year’s class of fellows represents a group of 15 students spanning a number of academic disciplines from science and technology to arts and humanities.

The 2023 Phi Kappa Phi Dissertation Fellows are:

• Petra Banks, Texas State University
• Cassandra Beattie, Kansas State University
• Paige Figanbaum, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
• Justin Z. Goldstein, Texas State University
• Jessica N. Hoyle, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
• Sojung Huh, Texas State University
• Wesley Jeffrey, University of California, Irvine
• Hong-My Nguyen, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
• Dylan O’Hara, University of Maine
• Iqra Pervaiz, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
• Rotana M. Radwan, Virginia Commonwealth University
• Keyur Savla, University of Alabama at Birmingham
• Elliot Varney, University of Mississippi Medical Center
• Rachel Washburn, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
• Emily Wiedenmeyer, Texas State University

“In its mission to support academic excellence and engage the community of scholars in service to others, Phi Kappa Phi created its Dissertation Fellowship to enable doctoral students to have the necessary resources to support the writing phase of their studies. By providing financial assistance to these doctoral students, our Society supports their continued academic and service journey,” said Society Executive Director and CEO Bradley Newcomer. “We are proud to support these scholars and look forward to seeing their completed dissertations in the not-so-distant future.”

The recipients were selected based on a number of criteria including how the fellowship will contribute to the completion of the dissertation, the significance of original research, and endorsement by the dissertation chair.

Established in 2014, the dissertation fellowships are part of the Society’s robust award and grants portfolio, which gives $1.3 million each year to outstanding students and members through study abroad grants, graduate fellowships, funding for post-baccalaureate development, member and chapter awards, and grants for local, national and international literacy initiatives.

To learn more about the Phi Kappa Phi Dissertation Fellowship Program and this year’s recipients, please visit www.phikappaphi.org/dissertation.

About Phi Kappa Phi
Founded in 1897, Phi Kappa Phi is the nation’s oldest and most selective collegiate honor society for all academic disciplines. Phi Kappa Phi inducts approximately 25,000 students, faculty, professional staff and alumni annually. The Society has chapters on more than 325 select colleges and universities in the United States, its territories and the Philippines. Membership is by invitation only to the top 10 percent of seniors and graduate students and 7.5 percent of juniors. Faculty, professional staff and alumni who have achieved scholarly distinction also qualify. The Society’s mission is “To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others.” For more information, visit www.phikappaphi.org.

Media Contact
Alyssa Papa
Director of Communications
apapa@phikappaphi.org
(225) 923-7777