BD Wong to celebrate LGBTQ Pride in Tuesday lecture series

BD Wong is best known for his role in the Jurassic Park and Jurassic World movies. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/IMDB

American actor and activist Bradley Darryl Wong, best known as BD Wong, will be the guest speaker at Tuesday’s University Lecture Series (ULS).

The event will be held in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom from 8-9 p.m. Check-in begins at 5:30 p.m. and doors will open at 7:30 p.m. 

Students and community members can register on BullsConnect to gain priority entrance, but registration is not required. Tickets will also be available at the MSC Atrium gate, according to Hannah Sutherland, Center for Student Involvement (CSI) graduate assistant for programs.

USF’s Campus Activities Board (CAB) will pay Wong $22,000 for the lecture, which will include a 45-minute moderated discussion led by CAB President Caitlyn Deam. The final 15 minutes will be an audience Q&A, according to Sutherland.

As of Monday, 86 students have registered for the lecture, according to BullsConnect, but a maximum of 800 people can attend, according to Sutherland.

Wong first gained attention after his Broadway debut in the award-winning play M. Butterfly, which won him a Tony Award in 1998.

He went on to join the cast of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as an FBI psychiatrist, Dr. George Huang, and recurring roles in TV shows such as All American Girl and Oz.  

Wong has appeared in films such as “The Freshman,” “The Father of the Bride” and its sequel, “The Father of the Bride Part II.” He is best known for his role as Dr. Henry Wu in the blockbuster “Jurassic Park” franchise. His voice was used for Disney’s 1998 film Mulan and its direct-to-video sequel as Captain Li Shang.

Over the years, Wong has donated his free time and resources to several LGBTQ-related charities, such as Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, the Ali Forney Center, Materials for the Arts and Rosie’s Theater Kids, where he also serves as a board member.

Most recently, Wong reprised his role as Dr. Henry Wu in June, with the final installment of the Jurassic World trilogy, “Jurassic World Dominion.”