NOTEBOOK: Last second goal helps men’s soccer upset No. 22 Charlotte

With less than 10 seconds left on the clock, senior forward Oscar Resano scored off a header to stun No. 22 Charlotte on the road. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s soccer prevailed at Transamerica Field with a 2-1 victory over ranked opponent No. 22 Charlotte on Oct. 25.

With less than 10 seconds left in the game, senior forward Oscar Resano scored the game-winning goal by heading the ball into the net off a throw-in pass from sophomore center back Brian Schaefer. Resano also had two shots on goal in the match.

An early goal in the first half gave the 49ers a lead, but the Bulls rallied in the second. USF (5-5-4, 4-1-3 AAC) tied the game when junior midfielder Amjeer Spengler scored in the 63rd minute.

USF will next head to Orlando to close the regular season against UCF on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The match will be broadcast on ESPN+.

USF volleyball splits its weekend road trip

This past weekend, USF volleyball split its two matches, as the Bulls were swept 3-0 by Wichita State on Friday and Tulsa 3-0 on Sunday.

Across the two matches, freshman outside hitter Maria Clara Andrade led the Bulls (8-14, 2-8 AAC) with 24 kills and contributed a block and service ace. Sophomore right side Amanda Dewitt had 20 kills, and junior outside hitter Marta Cvitkovic followed with 14.

Senior setter Kelsey O’Loughlin had a team-high 36 assists and nine digs over the weekend, and senior defensive specialist CC Clausen contributed with 23 digs and seven assists.

The Bulls return to Tampa to begin a four-game home stretch against Memphis on Friday at 7 pm. The match will take place at the Yuengling Center and broadcast on ESPN+ and Bulls Unlimited.

USF men’s and women’s cross country place top 11 at conference championships

Cross country competed in the AAC Championships at Mohawk Park on Friday.

The women’s team placed No. 11 with a score of 313 points. With 259 points, the men’s team placed No. 9 overall.

Freshman Cora Kolodge led the women’s squad with a time of 22:50:1 minutes and placed 51st individually. This was followed by junior Kelly Lynch and freshman Alyssa Watt with times of 22:54:7 and 23:52 minutes, respectively.

In the men’s 8K, senior Ben Kailes was the top finisher for the Bulls with a time of 25:40:5 minutes followed by freshman Tyler Wadsworth with a time of 26:31:9. Sophomore Sebastian Edwards rounded out the top three, finishing with a time of 26:33:8 minutes.

South Florida is preparing to compete in the NCAA South Regional races in Huntsville, Alabama on Nov. 11.