OPINION: Biden’s anti-MAGA speech divides America

In his recent speech, President Joe Biden throws hate at Trump supporters, further dividing the country and showcasing hypocrisy. FLICKR/Gage Skidmore

President Joe Biden made a presidential address in Philadelphia on Sept. 1 to speak of unity, liberty and voting in the upcoming 2022 elections. However, he spent half of the time speaking hatefully about Republicans.

Biden’s speech was unnecessary and only divides the country. His critiques of Republicans should also apply to Democrats since he proclaims to be the president of “all of America.”

The “Battle for the Soul” speech was full of high hopes. Biden spoke of the good of democracy and how it is under attack. 

“Too much of what is happening in our country today is not normal,” he said.

America is “under attack” by Make America Great Again (MAGA) Republicans, according to Biden. MAGA is former President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan, a phrase Trump supporters still use to show their affiliation.

“Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundation of our country,” Biden said. “MAGA Republicans do not respect the Constitution.”

The MAGA ideology believes everyone is made equal and must be treated equally under the law. Trump and his supporters embrace free thought, believe in the Constitution and know the laws protect American freedoms, according to Trump’s campaign organization.

Biden said Trump supporters are extremists for questioning the legitimacy of the 2020 election, rioting at the U.S. Capitol building and supporting the MAGA ideology.

Trump supporters refuse to accept the results of the 2020 election, according to Biden. They also look at the rioters of the Jan. 6 riot as patriots, Biden said.

Biden said supporters are extreme for questioning the results of the 2020 election, yet that is exactly what Democratic leaders did during the 2016 election.

“Our election was hijacked. There is no question,” Representative Nancy Pelosi tweeted in 2017.

In a 2017 interview with NPR, 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton said she wouldn’t rule out questioning the legitimacy of the election.

Two years after Trump won the presidency in 2016, Democrats continued to question it.

If refusing to accept election results makes Trump supporters a threat to democracy, then Democrats are a threat too.

Biden makes numerous hypocritical statements during his speech that are only directed toward Republicans.

“I’m an American president, not the president of red America or blue America, but all of America,” Biden said. 

He divides the country by calling one side a threat, which doesn’t showcase a president for all of America. Biden claimed that MAGA ideology promotes authoritarian leaders.

Authoritarianism is when a leader uses authority without regard for existing bodies of law, according to Britannica. Passing executive orders showcases authoritarianism by mandating a law without getting a second opinion from Congress.

Trump passed 55 executive orders in his first year as president. Biden passed 77.

Biden painting Trump as authoritarian is extremely misleading, especially when he showcases more authoritarian characteristics.

A president is a leader of a democracy who is granted the authority to represent the people, not tear them down.

By stating these things, he paints one side of America as evil, dividing Americans. The last thing we need is more division. The U.S. president should not be encouraging more hate.