Sails signs with the Los Angeles Chargers

Former USF defensive back KJ sails singed an undrafted free agent contract with the Los Angeles Chargers on Saturday. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

After going undrafted in April’s NFL draft and going to multiple tryouts with different organizations across the league, former USF defensive back and team captain KJ Sails finally found a home with the Los Angeles Chargers.

The Tampa native signed as an undrafted free agent Saturday and made the announcement via Twitter.

“I’m from the trenches so I’m used to getting it the hard way. Tampa let my story inspire you to keep going. God is real,” Sails wrote in the Twitter post on top of a picture of him signing the contract in the Chargers draft room.

Before signing with Los Angeles, Sails had tryouts with the New England Patriots and the Miami Dolphins.

During his two seasons at USF after transferring from North Carolina, Sails started 20 games at cornerback and posted 11 pass break ups to go along with three interceptions. He also played a role in the return game averaging nearly 10 yards per punt return.

Sails was selected to the American Athletic All-Conference Second Team in 2019.

He will now have the opportunity to make the Chargers’ final 53 man roster over the final few weeks of training camp and the team’s three preseason games. The deadline to cut the roster to 53 is Aug. 31.

The Chargers’ first preseason game will take place Aug. 14 at 10 p.m.