NOTEBOOK: Former USF women’s basketball star selected to first career WNBA All-Star Game

Former USF guard Courtney Williams (above) is averaging a career-high 17.4 points per game this season for the Atlanta Dream. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Former USF women’s basketball player and current Atlanta Dream guard Courtney Williams has been named an all-star for the first time in her WNBA career.

Williams, who is in her second season with the Dream, is averaging 17.4 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 34.8 minutes played per game this season. 

In her time at USF, Williams set a precedent for the program as she posted and currently holds the record for most points scored in a single season with 763, a feat she accomplished in the 2015-16 season.

She was a First-Team All-Conference selection and an All-Tournament selection in the AAC Tournament three times. Williams led the Bulls to four consecutive 20-win seasons, four postseason appearances and a 96-42 record in her time at USF.

The 17.1 points per game is a professional career high for Williams, as is her 4.1 assist per game.

The WNBA All-Star Game will take place July 14 at 7 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN.

Bobby Bentley named wide receivers coach

Coach Jeff Scott announced July 1 via a press release that former South Carolina position coach Bobby Bentley will be joining USF’s staff as the wide receivers coach and pass game coordinator.

Scott and Bentley have a bit of history together, as Bentley hired Scott to be his wide receivers coach in 2007 when he coached at Presbyterian College, according to Lou Bezjak of The State. Scott spent one season under Bentley before getting hired by Clemson.

Bentley will be bringing 12 years of collegiate coaching experience to USF, leaving a five-year run with the Gamecocks. In his time at South Carolina, Bentley spent the first three years of his tenure coaching the running backs, and finished with two seasons as the tight ends coach.

Throughout his career, Bentley has built a strong reputation as both a recruiter and a coach. He was named one of Rivals Top 25 recruiters in 2019 and has coaching experience at both the collegiate and high school level. 

Before his time at South Carolina, Bentley spent time at Auburn, Presbyterian College and James F. Byrnes High School. He helped lead the latter to four state championships.

Gregory “likely” to make pair of additions to coaching staff

Coach Brian Gregory is “likely” to add Louis Rowe and Jason Slay to the USF men’s basketball staff, according to a June 2 article by BullsInsider Managing Editor Russ Wood.

Rowe was head coach at James Madison from 2016 to 2020 and worked as the lead assistant for Bowling Green in the 2015-16 season. Slay has coaching experience at the Virginia Military Institute, East Tennessee State and most recently at Youngstown State where he was the associate head coach.

Wood said assistant coach Scott Wagers is transitioning from his current role to the director of recruiting and scouting. This new position will allow Wagers to review and scout game footage of prospective players as well as scouting opponents and helping with the formulation of a game plan.