NOTEBOOK: Track and field team to send multiple athletes to NCAA Championships

The 2021 NCAA Track and Field Championships will be held in Eugene, Oregon. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Following impressive performances at the NCAA East Regional Prelims in Jacksonville, the USF Track and Field team will have several participants at the NCAA Track and Field Championships taking place June 9-13 in Eugene, Oregon.

Sophomore pole vaulter Stone Baker, freshman long jumper Shaniya Benjamin, senior hurdler Duncan Agyemang and two women’s relay teams will represent the Bulls at the event.

Baker set a record for himself with a height of 17 feet 2 3/4 inches, tying the fourth-best record in Bulls history. It’ll be Baker’s first trip to the NCAA championships.

Benjamin qualified for the championships on Thursday, May 27 in historic fashion. She broke both her personal and USF record with a  21-5 feet 3/4 inches jump on her third attempt. The previous record of 21-4 was also held by Benjamin along with USF Hall of Famer Kerine Black.

Claiming the Bulls third ticket to Eugene was Agyemang, who finished 10th in the 400M hurdles at the preliminaries, just enough for him to advance.

The USF women’s relay team qualified for the championships in two events — the 4×100 and the 4×400. Benjamin, freshman Zahria Allers-Liburd, graduate student Gabrielle DesRosiers and sophomore Kadesha Prescott made up the 4×100 team that posted a school-record 43.95, good for eighth place at the preliminaries.

Benjamin, DesRosiers, freshman Jasmine Knowles and junior Patricija Roshofa made up the 4×400 team that set a new school mark, clocking in at 3:34.07. 

Hauksdóttir signs with Houston Dynamo

Former USF women’s soccer player Andrea Hauksdóttir was signed by the Houston Dash of the NWSL on a one-year contract Wednesday. 

During her four-year career with USF, Hauksdóttir started all 78 games she played in. In those games she scored 18 goals and tallied 26 assists. She was named as the AAC midfielder of the year twice and earned All-Conference third team three years straight. 

After graduating from USF following the 2019 season, Hauksdóttir signed a professional deal with Breidablik FC, a team in Iceland’s top-tier women’s soccer league. While with Breidablik, she scored once in her 21 appearances before going on loan with Le Havre AC from the Division 1 Féminine in France, where she appeared seven times.

Hauksdóttir now joins a Dynamo team that currently sits sixth in the NWSL table with four points in the early season.

Bergstrom named to PING All-Southeast Region

Sophomore Albin Bergstrom was named to the PING All-Southeast Region team for the second time in his collegiate career on Monday after winning the AAC tournament for the USF men’s golf team.  

Bergstrom becomes only the fourth player in program history to win this award for the AAC Golf Championship. 

The sophomore was critical in guiding the Bulls to their fifth AAC team title. He led the team with a 70.52 scoring average this season and is ranked No. 20 nationally by Golfstat. Bergstrom is also a member of the Swedish National team.

USF football home opener will be nationally televised

The highly anticipated home opener for the Bulls against the Gators on Sept. 11 will kick off at noon in front of a nationally televised audience.

Head coach Jeff Scott and his team learned about upcoming kickoff times and which games will be shown nationally during the Thursday announcement of details this season from the AAC.  

In total, the Bulls will have four prime-time games this season, including the matchup against UF.

Other prime-time telecasts include games against ECU on Oct. 28 on ESPN, reigning AAC champions Cincinnati on Nov. 12 on ESPN2, and the annual War on 1-4 rivalry clash against UCF on Nov. 26. 

Kickoff time for the game against UCF, which will be televised on either ABC or ESPN, has yet to be determined.