Former guard David Collins transfers to Clemson

David Collins (0) averaged 12.5 points and 3.4 assists per game for USF last season. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Former USF men’s basketball guard David Collins announced via a Twitter post Tuesday afternoon that he will be transferring to Clemson.

Collins, who played in 116 games with the Bulls, is one of nine players to transfer out of the program this offseason. Other players who have entered the transfer portal include guards Xavier Castañeda and Ezacuras Dawson III, forwards Luke Anderson, Alexis Yetna, Justin Brown, Madut Akec and Rashun Williams, and center Michael Durr.

Of the players who have left, five others aside from Collins have found new homes.

Anderson committed to the College of Southern Idaho shortly after entering the portal, Yetna went to Seton Hall, Durr elected to go to Virginia Tech, Castañeda chose the University of Akron and Brown opted for UAB.

Each of the players announced their intent to transfer to their new schools via a post on social media or in Anderson’s case, a retweet of someone else’s post.

Durr and Collins both transferred to schools in the ACC and Yetna went to the Big East. Durr and Collins are also likely to play against one another next season.

Akec, Williams and Dawson have yet to announce where they will be heading next season.

In an effort to recoup some of the talent that has left the team, the Bulls have officially announced the incoming transfers of four players between April 9 and April 19.

Sam Hines Jr. from the University of Denver was announced via a tweet April 9, Javon Greene from George Mason was announced April 14 and DJ Patrick from Triton College as well as Jake Boggs from UNC-Wilmington were announced April 19.

Greene, who was a three-year starter at George Mason, averaged 11.5 points and five rebounds per game last season for the Patriots.