UP investigates robbery during online resale incident

The meetup took place near USF Genshaft Drive, in Parking Lot 5E, after the victim attempted to sell an item through a social media platform. ORACLE FILE PHOTO

University Police (UP) is investigating an armed robbery involving an online sale transaction reported Monday afternoon. 

The robbery took place near USF Genshaft Drive, in Parking Lot 5E, at around 6:20 p.m., according to a UP press release. The victim was attempting to sell an item through a resale application and she scheduled a location with the potential buyers to finalize the sale.

Once they arrived at the scene, one of the suspects, a Black male in his early 20s with dreadlocks, exited the vehicle with a handgun and took the victim’s property, according to the press release. The victim told UP that a second suspect, a Black male with tattoos on both arms and a gray shirt, was also armed, according to the press release. 

The suspects were in a black, four-door sedan. The press release stated that they fled south on USF Genshaft Drive after the incident.

The victim was not injured in the incident.

“The USF Police Department wants to remind anyone transacting business via internet resale websites to do so safely,” UP wrote in a press release. “Select a meeting site that is well lit, populated and do not go alone if at all possible. If you must go alone, inform others as to your intended location and anticipated time of return.”