Some students report issues with MyUSF login

IT has been in contact with USF’s software vendors to address the issue. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Students attempting to log in to MyUSF have been facing some technical difficulties when using Google Chrome due to a software update.

While some students have been having difficulties this week to add or drop classes in the OASIS tab on the MyUSF page, many students have been having issues with logging into their account as far back as the summer semester.

Jenny Nguyen, a senior majoring in biomedical sciences, has been having difficulty with the web page sign-in.

“Whenever I try to log onto MyUSF I get an error message,” Nguyen said.

She has been having difficulty with signing into the web page since the spring semester.

“It happened once or twice sometime last semester when we went online, but it started happening more frequently, since the beginning of summer,” she said. “It prevented me from logging onto OASIS for financial aid or registering for classes.”

USF media relations manager Althea Paul said the university is aware of the issue, but it is with Google Chrome.

“We do know that in the past two weeks, Chrome updated its browser software and some individuals have experienced problems logging into MyUSF as a result,” Paul said. “Information Technology (IT) is working with our vendors now to address this and has found that closing the entire browser and reopening typically addresses this issue.”

Isabella Larcomb, a junior majoring in health sciences, has been having the same login issues.

“Every time I tried to log into MyUSF this screen would pop up saying there was an error,” Larcomb said. “Sometimes it would let me log in, but sometimes it wouldn’t even let me pull up the website.”

Larcomb said she was able to resolve the issue through the help of a friend.

“I searched ‘OASIS USF’ on Google and then clicked on the link that said something about the site being under maintenance and it took me to the correct page,” Larcomb said.

Paul confirmed that there is a supplementary website students can use when MyUSF is undergoing maintenance; however, maintenance is not the root cause of the current technical issue.

“If you Google search MyUSF, you may find a web page, several entries down, that IT redirects people to, when we do have maintenance occurring,” Paul said. “MyUSF has not been under maintenance for the past month, nor would it typically be during the first week of classes.”

IT is unaware of any overarching issues with MyUSF, according to Christopher Akin, director of IT application and web services.

“We are, however, aware that a small subset of visitors to the site using the Chrome browser have experienced a temporary error when trying to log in,” Akin said. “We believe this is due to a recent upgrade to the Chrome browser. For further clarification, we’ve reviewed our logs and monitoring system. There has been no MyUSF outage or downtime in the last two weeks.”

Since the issue comes from an external source, Akin said IT has been in contact with USF’s software vendors. The MyUSF software comes from a Microsoft platform and is conflicting with Google Chrome.

For some, not being able to log into MyUSF has had a negative impact.

Jaqueline Nguyen is a Google Chrome user and has been receiving the error message when attempting to log in for over a month.

“I was not able to log onto OASIS for about a week, and it did disrupt my process to register for classes,” she said.

She said she still was fortunate enough to get the classes she needed.

Akin said there are two things that seemingly work well in resolving the login error.

“We have found that closing your Chrome browser and reopening it often clears this error,” he said. “Students can also attempt access to MyUSF (my.usf.edu) using another browser.”

For the first week of classes, Akin said he suggests students reach out to IT’s online chat for a quick fix to any technical issue that could arise.

“You can visit ITChat.USF to start a session with the service desk,” Akin said.