College Democrats invite gubernatorial candidate to campus

SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

The youngest gubernatorial candidate will be on USF’s campus Wednesday to reach out to students.

Andrew Gillum (D) began his political career while serving as student body president for Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) from 2001-02. He was also the first student to sit on the FAMU Board of Trustees.

The 38-year-old Miami native was the youngest individual elected to the Tallahassee City Commission in 2003.

After 10 years as the City Commissioner, Gillum ran for Mayor of Tallahassee in April 2013. He won the race with nearly 20,000 votes, about 76 percent.

As the guest of USF College Democrats and as part of his campaign, Gillum will be at the organization’s table during Bull Market for opportunity to meet with students and discuss the issues that concern them. He will also have a Q&A with students Wednesday at 5 p.m. in the Marshall Student Center, room 4200.

Nathaniel Sweet, vice president of USF College Democrats, said hosting events such as this is not an endorsement of the candidate. He said he encourages other gubernatorial candidates to have similar events and engage with students.

“It’s a win-win for everyone,” Sweet said. “Candidates get visibility with students and students get the chance to make their preferences known to future leaders.”