Putting a spin on microwavable food with fresh ingredients

It isn’t every day the words ‘fresh ingredients’ and ‘microwave’ are used in the same recipe, but the two are more compatible than one might think.

For a healthy dinner idea which doesn’t require an oven or stove, give this recipe of microwaved salmon, zucchini and corn on the cob on a bed of spinach and greens a try.

Sockeye Salmon in particular is currently in season and is affordable enough to make this an enjoyable meal that won’t break the bank. This meal requires:

1 Alaskan Sockeye or Atlantic Salmon filet

1 ear of yellow corn in the husk

1 lemon (cut into wheels or slices)

1 package of raw spinach and greens

½ tbsp. Parsley

1 zucchini  

2 tbsp. mayonnaise (optional)

1-2 tbsp. Sriracha (optional)

½ stick of butter 

Salt and black pepper

Water

Plastic wrap

Sauce

This is an optional sauce that will provide a kick of flavor to the salmon and is also great for dipping. Before deciding to cook the salmon with this sauce, taste it first as too much Sriracha can overpower the natural flavor of the salmon. When making this dish for guests, it is advised to use less Sriracha than usual and provide them with a small bowl in order to dip the salmon.

To make the sauce, begin by adding the mayonnaise to a bowl. Using a spoon, flatten out the mayonnaise and make an indention in the center. Then begin adding the Sriracha to taste. The sauce should be a light orange color and a thick consistency when complete. 

Corn on the cob

This is the easiest to make and requires little effort, but be careful when removing as the corn will be hot.  

Cut the top and bottom segments of the husk off and leave the corn in the husk for now. Wash the husk, pat dry and place into the microwave on a paper towel. Make sure husks have at least an inch separating them and cook on high for one minute. 

Flip the husk over and continue cooking for another minute. The husk and stringy sections should slide off and be ready for buttering and salting. If it provides resistance, cook on high for another 15 seconds.  

Zucchini 

Using a microwaveable safe container, pour water into the bottom for steaming the zucchini. After cutting the top and bottom of the zucchini off, place into the container. Place at least two flats of butter on top of each zucchini and cover the top of the container with plastic wrap.

Poke only one hole in the center — any more than this could ruin the zucchini. 

On high, microwave the zucchini for one minute. Turn over the zucchini and repeat the same way as the corn. If the zucchini is too firm, microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Beware of overcooking – zucchini in the microwave is quickly ruined. 

Salmon 

Be careful when cooking salmon — if not cooked long enough the fish could present a health hazard, and if cooked too long the fish will have the texture of a rubber shoe. To avoid this, vigilantly check on the salmon throughout the cooking process.

Begin by washing the salmon thoroughly with cool water and pat dry. Place the filet skin-side down onto a microwave-safe container and rub several pinches of salt into the flesh. Let the salmon sit for roughly 10 minutes before adding a pinch of black pepper. 

If deciding to cook with the Sriracha sauce, slather the face of the filet with it. Place the lemon slices side-by-side on top of the fish and sprinkle half of the parsley onto it. Cover the container tightly with plastic wrap and poke one hole into the center as with the zucchini. 

Microwave on high for three and a half minutes and begin to check to see if done. If uncertain the fish is done, look first at the sides for color changes — the color should be uniformly different throughout. If still unsure, take a fork and test the firmness. If the fish begins to flake and doesn’t provide much resistance from piercing the center, the salmon is ready to eat. Place the salmon on the spinach and greens, and slice the zucchini and arrange around the fish.

Breakfast Quiche

For a quick, healthy breakfast recipe which doesn’t require a skillet, try a microwaveable breakfast quiche.

This quiche takes just a minute and a half to cook and can be cooked in any microwave-safe conical container — even a coffee mug. Despite what some might think, cooking eggs in the microwave produces a light, fluffy and delicious addition to any breakfast. 

This recipe requires:

1 egg

Ham slices 

1-2 tbsp. cream cheese

1-1 ½ tsp. butter

Milk

Salt and pepper 

Scallions

Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

¼-½  cup bread crumbs 

Fork or egg whisk

In a microwave-safe container, add one egg and beat until smooth. Then add a spoonful of cream cheese and 1-2 pats of butter. As these are mixed together, add an equal amount of milk to the mixture. Stir with a fork or egg until smooth.

Wash the scallions under hot water, making sure to remove any dirt or grime. Slice up the scallions and pour into the egg mixture. Next, add the ham slices and stir. Add in a couple pinches of salt, a pinch of black pepper and stir for about thirty seconds. 

Although quiche is traditionally made with ham, any breakfast meat can be substituted (sausage, bacon, etc.) for this dish.  

Stir in enough cheese to the egg mixture to cover the surface and add the bread crumbs. Let the bread absorb the egg mixture to avoid a watery quiche. Take care not to overmix – just stir enough to cover the crumbs. Now, add more cheese until the egg mixture’s surface is covered.

Place the quiche into a microwave and set it to high. Microwave the quiche for one and a half to two minutes, allowing the quiche five minutes to cool.