Cid falls in first round of NCAAs

Roberto Cid finished 25-10 in singles play after losing in the first round of the NCAA Singles Championships.  SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Roberto Cid’s run in the 2014 NCAA Singles Championships lasted longer than most thought it would, ending in the quarterfinals. 

The two-time AAC Player of the Year award winner took to the court in Waco, Texas on Wednesday in the first round of the NCAA Singles Championship with high expectations following his impressive sophomore campaign. 

But Cid, ranked 21st in the nation, fell in two sets, 6-2, 7-6 (1), to No. 30 Austin Smith of Georgia. 

“It came down to a couple of key points in the second set and I wasn’t able to end those and it’s just what happens,” Cid said. “He was a better player in the key points.”

With the loss, the junior’s record moves to 25-10 for the season.

Even though he exited much earlier than he would have liked, Cid remained optimistic Wednesday. 

“We had a great season, so there’s not much disappointment to be had,” Cid said. “I’m just looking forward to next season.”

With his sights set on the professional level, Cid said he is planning on getting right back to improving his game.

“I don’t just plan to do well in college, but I plan to do well professionally,” he said. “I’m planning on playing in some tournaments over the summer and I’m looking forward to getting back on the practice court.”

AAC men’s basketball schedule announced

Coach Orlando Antigua and the USF men’s basketball team caught a slight break when the conference schedule was released Wednesday. 

Two of the top teams in the AAC, Tulsa and UConn, will both only play USF once this season. Because the conference is comprised of 11 teams, each team plays only eight of the teams twice.

The Bulls will avoid playing in the XL Center in the regular season by hosting the Huskies, but will play at Tulsa.

The AAC Championship is scheduled to begin March 10, 2016 at the Amway Center in Orlando.

Bulls receive high APR marks

Four USF teams were given Public Recognition Awards by the NCAA for earning high scores in the Academic Progress Rating (APR) report for the 2014-15 school year. 

The men’s and women’s tennis teams, the women’s golf team and the softball team all scored within the top 10 percent of teams in their respective sports.

The APR gauges academic success of teams by measuring the progress of student athletes which focuses on eligibility, retention and graduation.