Bulls roll through winter schedule

Alisia Jenkins posted a career-high 14 rebounds in the Bulls’ win against Tulane on Sunday.  ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

While students were at home enjoying their winter break, the USF women’s basketball team kept piling up wins. After losing in the Sun Dome on Dec. 7 to St. John’s, the Bulls have gone undefeated and beaten opponents by an average of 19.5 points per game. 

The Bulls added another win Sunday against Tulane (11-3) in New Orleans, defeating the Golden Hurricane, 53-40. The game was all about defense, and the teams combined for a total of 43 turnovers. At halftime, the Bulls only led 26-18, marking their lowest first-half score all season. 

USF stormed through the second half with junior guard Courtney Williams, who was one rebound shy of another double-double. Williams accounted for 14 points and nine rebounds for the Bulls. Junior forward Alisia Jenkins made an impact in the post, collecting a season-high 14 rebounds in the process, along with 10 points. 

USF (12-3) finished up its non-conference schedule in December with games against the College of Charleston, Northern Colorado and Penn State. 

Dec. 28 marked the beginning of AAC play, during which the Bulls beat East Carolina (9-5) in a close game, 69-62. USF also played Memphis (7-7) on New Year’s Eve and came away with a dominating 33-point win, 72-39. Coming into this weekend, the Bulls had won five games straight — a vast improvement over the team’s performance in December of 2013, when the Bulls went 2-3. 

The Bulls will look to add a seventh win to their streak when they travel to Philadelphia to take on Temple (7-8) this Sunday. USF will be back in the Sun Dome on Jan. 14 to face SMU (4-10) at 7 p.m.