Bulls’ 14 blocks lead to win over UConn

USF blocked five more shots than UConn in its four set win Friday night at the USF Corral.
ORACLE PHOTO/SEBASTIAN CONTENTO

USF began its two-game weekend Friday in front of 733 fans at the USF Corral when it hosted UConn in its first home conference game of the season.

The Bulls won the first two sets and after stumbling in the third, were able to dominate the Huskies in the final set.

USF padded its standing as the AAC leader in blocks Friday night when it blocked five more shots than UConn. 

Senior middle blocker Jennica Mullins and freshman middle blocker Joli Holland combined for 14 blocks, holding UConn to a .119 hitting percentage for the match. 

USF took advantage of its strong blocking, never trailing in the final set that it won 25-16.

AAC Conference Player of the Year Erin Fairs gave a strong performance for USF (8-8, 2-2) once again with a 19-kill, 24-dig night. 

Fairs paced the Bulls in both categories, with 10 more kills and 12 more digs than any of her teammates. 

Despite the Bulls strong play against UConn, they couldn’t carry over their momentum from Friday into Sunday when they fell to Temple in three straight sets.

USF will finish its three-game homestand Wednesday when it hosts UCF at 7 p.m. in the USF Corral.