Constant gun violence should not be our reality

ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

During a recent Q&A, President Barack Obama said there is no place like the U.S. 

The statement was the furthest thing from proud, however, as Obama said no other developed country, except the U.S., would tolerate the frequency of gun violence that occurs here. 

Regardless of one’s stance on gun reform, it’s unfortunately true. 

According to a study by two New York City cardiologists, the U.S. has the most guns and gun-related deaths in comparison to 27 other developed countries, with 88 guns for every 100 people and 10 gun-related deaths for every 100,000 people. 

Just last week, a young gunman shot and killed a 14-year-old student, wounded a teacher and was later found dead at the scene in Reynolds High School in Troutdale, Oregon. Less than a week before, the shooting at Seattle Pacific University resulted in one death and three injuries. About two weeks before that, Elliot Rodger attacked the Isla Vista community, killing seven in a shooting rampage. 

The Oregon shooting was the 74th school shooting since the gut-wrenching attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, two years ago, in which 20 students and six adults were killed. 

It shouldn’t be a given to expect gun violence to occur so frequently. 

During the Q&A, the president addressed how any sort of legislation to change gun violence seems unlikely until the country demonstrates a dramatic change in its public opinion on gun control. 

Even within the year following the Sandy Hook shooting, Gallup polls show that only about half of those polled felt gun laws should be more strict and only about a third felt strong dissatisfaction with the existing restrictions on firearms. 

Last year, following the shooting at Sandy Hook, the president issued 23 executive orders concerning gun violence, all of which were halted by guns rights groups. 

According to an MSNBC article, only recently has Congress made an effort for gun legislation since Obama’s attempt, as the House passed an amendment to enhance funding to improve the criminal background checks system, which gun dealers currently use to screen buyers. 

Still, the gun violence that has occurred in recent weeks indicates more must be done. 

Ultimately, until stricter gun regulation is passed on a national level, it seems facing relentless devastation will remain the country’s reality, one which should not be accepted. 

Isabelle Cavazos is a junior majoring in English and Spanish.