Antiguas may unite at USF

When Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua was introduced Tuesday afternoon as the USF men’s basketball coach, he thanked his younger brothers Oliver and Omar saying, “Let’s keep enjoying this ride.”

One of those brothers may be enjoying that ride at the same school.

Seton Hall assistant coach, Oliver Antigua (the middle of the three siblings), said that coaching alongside his older brother at USF isn’t too far fetched.

“It’s a possibility,” Oliver said. “We are discussing it. Nothing definite.”

Oliver is coming off his first season with the Pirates, a former Big East foe for USF, where they went 17-17 overall and 6-12 in the new Big East. Ironically, Oliver had a one-year stint as an assistant to Steve Masiello at Manhattan.

Masiello was the first coach to have a deal offered to him from USF after the firing of Stan Heath.

While his younger brother is contemplating leaving Seton Hall, Antigua, who will earn
$900,000 during his first season, increasing by $25,000 each year of his five-year contract, certainly has a good share of money to work with for hiring his own staff.

The assistant coaches salary pool begins at $700,000 this year and increases by $25,000 each year after.

According to public records, Heath had $500,000 allocated to his four assistants, and earned more than $1 million per season after receiving a contract extension in 2012. This increase under Antigua would likely allow for either a larger staff, or a more prominent staff that could receive higher salaries.

Antigua and his family are given country club membership, and courtesy car, along with the right for Antigua to conduct basketball camps and clinics in USF facilities at the discretion of the athletic director, according to his contract.

The contract includes many bonuses based on the success of the program under his watch: A regular season conference championship could bring in
$100,000, a conference tournament championship could bring $50,000, an at-large NCAA tourney invite could bring $50,000, each NCAA tournament win could bring $25,000, a Final Four appearance could bring $250,000, an NCAA championship $500,000, an NIT invite could bring $10,000 and an NIT championship could bring $25,000.

None of the bonuses will be available if team is on probation or has been sanctioned by the NCAA, the conference or USF. Bonuses will not be available if team’s Academic Progress Rate drops below 930 (minimum set by NCAA) either.

While Antigua’s job officially began Tuesday, his real work will begin when he returns to campus after the end of Kentucky’s Final Four run this weekend.