Anti-vaccination argument still needs work

Reality television star Kristin Cavallari was led into a “parent trap” of sorts in a recent interview on Fox Business where she claimed she has “read too many books” to vaccinate her child.

The conversation started out with mention of Cavallari’s experience as a young reality TV star and her upcoming show on E!

But when discussing how Cavallari was going to manage traveling with her kids, Lisa Kennedy Montgomery, interviewer and host of “The Independents,” managed to use the opportunity to open the touchy subject.

Cavallari’s opinion that vaccinations cause autism is a concern that has been catching popularity in recent years, but was met with backlash from her fans.

The argument is weak at best and based solely off of circumstantial statistics. 

These “books” that Cavallari has read could be filled with all sorts of numbers to make the reader believe such a claim. 

For example, a group of students could rally together and write books claiming that grape juice is as pure of a beverage as water is. Granted they have the right to do so and can keep writing and publishing books forever, but the basis to which their content is focused is merely circumstantial.

Cavallari’s argument should be based more on analytic proof than simply the library of the Anti-Vaccine Book Club. 

The American Academy of Pediatrics, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization and the Institute of Medicine, all leading medical organizations, hold that there has yet to be a proven link between autism and vaccination.  

While Cavallari chooses to hold an opinion about not vaccinating her children, she does not firmly stand by it and chooses to cop-out of her argument when prodded by simply stating she knows what is right for her children.

While everyone is allowed an opinion, the problem lies in how Cavallari in particular chooses to relay hers.

In an interview with HuffPost Live, Cavallari spoke about one of her “sources,” but became tongue twisted when mistakenly acknowledging Homefirst Medical Services, a health care provider which offers information on vaccination exemptions, as Homestead – which Cavallari blamed on “pregnancy brain.”

In the future, Cavallari should better prepare herself for similar questions. 

She will soon learn that in her field, battles are better chosen instead of fought head on. As for argumentative tactics, Cavallari should think of protecting her kids as a mother, rather than dancing to her own tune with advice she cannot fully support.

Isaac Ortiz is a sophomore majoring in biomedical science.