Nicholas Sparks to discuss writing process

Before Valentine’s Day, students will have an opportunity to hear advice from one of the country’s most notable romance novelists.

As the second speaker of this semester’s University Lecture Series (ULS), hosted by the Center for Student Involvement, Nicholas Sparks will speak tonight in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom at 8 p.m.

Sparks, author of 17 New York Times best selling books with almost 80 million copies of his books in print, is known for his romantic novels and several movie adaptations of the novels such as “Dear John,” “The Last Song” and “The Notebook.”

ULS Director Woodra Keene said the university has tried to get Sparks to speak in the lecture series for several years now. She said he will discuss his creative writing process as well as the role he takes during the publishing process and in the film adaptions of his books.

According to an email to The Oracle from Renee Hunt, communications and marketing director for USF Student Affairs, Sparks declined any interviews “as he is in the midst of an intense writing session.”

Sparks’ lecture is contracted to include a book signing and a brief Q&A session after the speech and will cost $39,500.

The third speaker for the series has not yet been announced. However, it is likely the speaker will be announced at the lecture tonight. 

Last month, Student Government approved $161,120 in additional funding to the current $189,000 budget for USF Week, which will take place the week of April 7. In the funding, $40,000 is to supplement ULS’s remaining funds to bring an “internationally recognized speaker.”