Home game cancelled, conference play starting this weekend

Wednesday night’s softball game against the Dartmouth Big Green was cancelled due to inclement weather and will not be made up due to the Big East conference season starting this weekend.

USF has four games between tonight and Sunday.

The Bulls will try to extend their winning streak to 16 games when they face off with Cornell at 7 p.m. at home.

The Big Red are 8-9 this season, and have won four consecutive Ivy League South Division titles. USF and Cornell have split two meetings in their history.

Cornell won two of three contests last Sunday at the USF Invitational in Clearwater, and batted in 23 total runs, while the Bulls have scored more than five runs per game this season.

USF will have Friday off before opening 2013 Big East play at home on Saturday.

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights will take the field for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. Saturday and the third game will be played on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Bulls also opened the 2012 conference season at home against Rutgers and went 3-0.

The USF pitching staff combined to throw three shutouts, led by Sara Nevins’ 14 and 2/3 scoreless innings.

Rutgers is 13-9 so far this season, in the midst of a six-game winning streak on a spring break road trip in Florida.

Rutgers finished 13-9 in Big East play last season, while the Bulls finished third with a 17-5 record en route to their Women’s College World Series appearance.