Grammy performances: Too much or just enough?

Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and Alicia Keys were only some of the performers who dazzled their peers with surprise collaborations, interesting
performance attempts and lots of choreography at the 55th annual Grammy Awards, which took place in Los Angeles on Sundayevening.

Hours before the collection of stars reported to their assigned seats,Rihanna grabbed the first Grammy win for Best Short Form Video with her song We Found Love, beating out Kanye West and Jay-Zs No Church in the Wild and M.I.As Bad Girls.

But the talk of the town came from the one thing all audiences lookforward to the performances.

Theexcitement ofthe first awards wore off after the first performance from the ever-evolving Taylor Swift. Swift took the stage in what seemed to be far from her element.

Taking advantage of her shining moment of opening the Grammy Awards in front of an almost painfullycaptive audience, Swift seemedGaga-esque in her sparkling top hat and cape, reminiscent of the Mad Hatters from Alice in Wonderland. Vocally unimpressive and mildly confusing, the performance for her Grammy-winning We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, started the evening on an off-beat andoff-key note.

Not a moment too soon, Swiftfinished her performance to make way for a heartfelt introduction from LL Cool J.

Sir Elton John then performed21-year-old pop sensation EdSheerans A Team with Sheeran, leaving viewers befuddled, pondering as to why the redheaded newcomer did not accompany the Sir on one of his timeless, legendary songs.

As the night went on, it seemed as though things were slowlyimproving.

Adele was given the first award of the ceremony, and immediately after John Mayer emerged in a purple velvetensemble, which called to mind aHalloween Pimp costume.

Dirks Bentleys performance was audibly appealing, and simple apparently the best way to go.

It seemed simplicitywas key for a decentperformance, as Wiz Khalifa joined up-and-coming R&B talent Miguel for a too-short performance of Adorn.

It didnt take long until auniversal favorite, Mumford and Sons, took the stage doingexactly what they shouldhave playing the tried and truemusic theyvereleased, with plainyellow lights shining through their silhouettes as they seemed to give their all into the thing they were there to do. Notsurprisingly, CBScameramen skillfully snuck a couple of shots of othermusicians singing along.

Justin Timberlakes made up for his not-so-thrilling firstsingle by performing it live with an immediatefollow-up of his new singlePusher Love Girl, laced with some of the most poeticfalsetto of any R&B song out.

Stings contribution to Bruno Mars Locked Out of Heaven was not a far cry, as the two haveincredibly similar sounding styles.

Essentially, this years Grammys was not lacking in the shockfactors despite CBSs attempt to stifle outrageous wardrobes, bybanning fleshy under curves of the buttocks and buttock crack, Bare sides or undercurvature of the breasts and puffy skin exposure.

But the people that were meant to do well, did just that. And that is what people willremember about this years Grammy awards.