Beat summer boredom on a budget

In the relaxation mode of summer, there is a fine line between being relaxed and being bored. If you find yourself in front of the television for most of the week, it may be caused by a lack of stimulation.

Sure, the university area is a lot less populous and the seasonal heat makes the outside seem unbearable, but that shouldnt stop you from venturing out into the world.

To keep students active and entertained, The Oracle has compiled a list of inexpensive things to do around Tampa to combat the summer lull.

Yoga on the Lawn at Felicitous Coffee House
Not only does yoga keep youfit, but it can also relieve the stresses of everyday life. Every weekend, Felicitous hosts two different types of yoga for $12 a session. On Saturdays at 10:30 a.m., beginners are encouraged to participate in Hatha yoga for an hour. For a more rigorous session, Felicitous also offers 75-minute Vinyasa yoga sessions Sundays at 10:30 a.m.

Felicitous is an independent caf that has a lot of USF regulars, making Yoga on the Lawn a terrific way to get together with old friends and make new ones in a relaxed environment. Participants also receive discounts on tea and can drink it under the trees on the cafs new patio.
Consider bringing: Yoga mat, towel, water.

USF Botanical Gardens
With an entrance fee of just $1 for USF students, walking around the 16 acres of plant life is the perfect way to spend a summer afternoon. The Botanical Gardens is open seven days a week and offers different activities and events each month, such as the Butterfly, Herb and Native Plant Fair on June 9 and 10.

Volunteers at the garden are knowledgeable about gardening and sustainability, and every dollar earned goes back into maintaining the acres.
Consider bringing: Sunscreen, water.

Lettuce Lake Park and USF Riverfront Park
Open from 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. during the summer, Lettuce Lake Park is an ideal place to spend a day with friends, with an entry fee of $2 per car.

The wooden boardwalk surrounding the park is lined with educational signs, providing curious visitors with information on the local wildlife. If you would rather get out of the sun, there are plenty of shaded tables for a picnic.

Head next-door to Riverfront Park, where USF students can rent a kayak or canoe for $5 per person. Or, circuit the park with a game of disc golf.

The vibrant colors of nature are a perfect inspiration for creative types, so plan a date to the park and recreate the environment of these parks with paint, photography or poetry.
Consider bringing: Sunscreen, bug spray, water.

Fun Lan Drive-In
A drive-in theater is a great way to feel like youve gone back to the 1950s while still watching the latest movies. At $7 a ticket, its cheaper than seeing a movie in a theater and you wont have to worry about hearing obnoxious audience members.

The drive-in was built in 1950 and has four screens showing movies such as Dark Shadows and Battleship.

Plan a night out with your significant other without worrying about the freezing temperatures of regular theaters. At the drive-in, you control everything from the comfort of the car.
Consider bringing: Snacks, cozy blanket.

Ybor City Fresh Market
Open every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Ybor City Fresh Market offers locally grown food and handcrafted art. Entry and parking are both free.

The scent of fresh-baked bread will overwhelm your senses as you spend the morning browsing the largest outdoor market in Tampa Bay. With vendors selling everything from organic vegetables to homemade dog treats, its impossible not to find something to purchase.
If youre looking for a companion to help keep you active, the market also hosts a dog adoption event on the last Saturday of every month.

Consider bringing: Sunscreen, a reusable grocery bag, a pet.

Mayors Food Truck Fiesta
While Taco Bus is the best-known food truck in Tampa, there are many more delicious culinary treats riding around on four wheels. The best way to get a taste of all the different mobile food in Tampa is to attend the Mayors Food Truck Fiesta on the first Wednesday of every month.

The event offers customers a chance to try a wide range of foods from different cultures, from Stinky Bunzs Korean kimchi to Mr. Empanadas Cuban sandwiches. Take a trip to the event and meet some new people as you support local restaurants.
The next food truck gathering will be June 6 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lykes Gaslight Square Park in downtown Tampa.

Consider bringing: An empty stomach.