Herman Cain to speak on success, solutions

About three months after the NBC Republican Candidates Presidential Debate was hosted at USF, a one-time GOP front-runner will come to campus to talk about life outside the presidential race.

Herman Cain, former Republican presidential candidate and Godfathers Pizza CEO, will speak today in the Patel Center Auditorium from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Cain rose to prominence in the presidential race for his 9-9-9 tax plan which called for a 9 percent income, national sales and corporate income tax and a unique speech style that included calling for less formality in government and quoting Pokemon 2000. In October, Cain was the front-runner of the Republican presidential race before eventually bowing out in December after allegations of sexual misconduct.

In an interview with The Oracle, Cain said the topic of his speech at USF will be the success of the journey, not the destination.

Number one, have the dream, he said. Without a dream, you wont know if youve got that. Secondly, success is not a straight line, its a zig-zag. Its how you handle the zigs and the zags. Thirdly, success is driven by happiness. Theres a specific definition of happiness that I will share with the students to help put their dreams, their zigs and their zags in perspective.

In addition to discussing his time in the presidential race and ideas of success, Cain said he will also discuss his newest work with Cains Solutions Revolution, a project to continue promoting his ideas, such as the 9-9-9 tax plan.

Solutions Revolution is just that it is a revolution to provide solutions to many of the problems that we face, he said. For example, the economy is our biggest domestic challenge. In order to get things rolling again, we need bold solutions.

He has also gained popularity for his repeated appearances on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report. Cain appeared at a mock rally held by Stephen Colbert in January at the College of Charleston that drew 3,000 to 5,000 attendees in the then-largest primary event, and was featured Monday on The Daily Show in an interview with John Oliver.

Cain said he is happy to visit the shows that other Republican candidates might hesitate to appear on because he believes it is an important way to bring conservatism to youth voters who may not otherwise be exposed to it.

These guys are great at what they do and one of the reasons I had agreed to do Jon Stewart and Colberts (shows) is I want to take the conservative message to the youth of the country, he said. They will be aware of many of the things I am talking about, and they will be aware of what I am doing. I believe in order to capture the youth vote, you have to go to the youth, and those are two places where they get many of their ideas.

Student Government and the USF College Republicans will be sponsoring the event. Kristin Bradstreet, a senior majoring in political science and chair of the USF College Republicans, said Cains appearance will not cost any money because Cain specifically wanted to visit the campus, in addition to another scheduled appearance in Tampa.

Ive been traveling to a lot of colleges and universities, sharing with students what challenges we face as a country and what they can do to help change some of the things theyre faced with, Cain said.