Judy Shirt popular with students, president

When Student Government (SG) posted a promotion on Facebook for the annual Our Shirt competition, one submission stood out from the pile.

The white shirt with a gold-tinted image of a laughing President Judy Genshaft and the words, USF is out of this world, has now become known as the Judy Shirt and sells for $15 since Tuesday. Designed by Daria Milligan, a senior majoring in mass communications, said the shirt has garnered the attention of hundreds of Facebook users and, eventually Genshaft herself. She totally loved it, USF spokesman Michael Hoad said. Judy-mania lives.

At the March 1 Board of Trustees meeting, Genshaft updated members on some of the latest developments across the Tampa campus, including the shirt.

I want to thank Trustee (Matt) Diaz for all hes done with the students, she said during the meeting. I even found myself on one of the T-shirt designs when (SG) had some kind of T-shirt competition or something.

SG Director of Marketing Ivan Gil, a senior majoring in marketing, said after SG found out Genshaft liked the shirts, they requested that printing company Image Depot print a handful of the shirts to give to the president and her family.

She was actually getting out of a meeting on a Friday night at about 5 and we got ahold of her chief of staff a few days prior, and she had said this would be a perfect time, he said. So she came out of her meeting and there was 10 students right there, and we all had the T-shirts on and we started talking with her and she absolutely loved it and we kind of did a photo shoot with her.

After seeing the shirts online popularity, Gil said SG partnered

with Image Depot again to print 500 more shirts. While the cost to create the shirts are $10 each, the shirts are selling for $15 and all profits will go to the USF Foundation.

Were still working out the details with the Foundation of what exactly that money will be used for, he said. We kind of wanted to move forward with the shirt.

Gil said if the shirt sells quickly, SG will print more.

Milligan could not immediately be reached for comment.